Gastric Sleeve

Forum for discussing any topic related to By-pass surgery.

Gastric Sleeve

Postby Dr. Arturo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:05 am

Hola,
We started doing Gastric sleeve in 2006!!
I receive a phone call from a lady a few months ago wondering how long ago was I been doing Gastric Sleeve because a couple of doctors told her that they have 8 years doing it and therefore they have very much experience on that procedure...I was shocked!!
Some history about Sleeve Procedure:
It was first done as part of a surgical procedure called "BPD-DS" meaning Bilio-Pancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch in 1988 for weight control as an Open Surgery.
Cirangle in California in 2004 reported 20 full laparoscopic Gastric Sleeves in high risk patients but Gagner and Milone were the first to bring the Gastric Sleeve to the Laparoscopic Bariatric World in 2005 as we all know it now!!!!!
Soon after 2005 several teams started Gastric Sleeves' programs as "primary" or solitary surgical procedure for weight loss or as the first of two steps in a very high risk patients wanting GBP Gastric Bypass) or BPD.
There were 3 teams seriously performing gastric sleeves at that time, one at the Cleveland Clinic in Miami, the second in Australia and the one I got involved with was in Sao Paolo, Brazil when I was visiting my friend Dr. Almino.
The first sleeve gastrectomy done by our group in Monterrey, Mexico was in
June 2006 and by July we performed the gastric sleeve to a Mexican Artist and we were out on the News and TV all over Mexico so people and specially the Mexican Surgeons start getting interested in the Sleeve procedure as an option for weigh loss.
Early in 2007, after the promising results for weigh loss other Medical Publications and Reports show a great improvement for what we call “METABOLIC DISEASE” which involves Type 2 Diabetes, High Blood pressure and Hypercholesterolemy.
Many Doctors claim to be the PIONEERS on Lap Band and Gastric Sleeve
I hope this clarifies the concepts of been a Pioneer....
Dr. Arturo Rodriguez
Arturo Rodriguez, MD
http://www.thebariatric.com
http://arturorodriguezmd.com
phone: 011 52 818 3783177
Dr. Arturo

Return to General Information